11:36 PM

Day 22 - Eskdale and Ravenglass

An early night and I felt 100% the next morning, Mum however was still queasy. We still had a cooked breakfast. Today we got up at ready to have breakfast at about 8.30. The usual cooked breakfast is getting a bit much more me and now I am down to a little bacon and beans with toast.

We drove from Bowness to Little Lansdown and took the little road up through all the mountains across what they call the Nutt. It was a narrow, single-lane road, barely wide enough for a single car to pass through. With numerous other vehicles on the road, our journey became quite challenging, involving frequent instances of reversing or pulling over to the side. 


We had initially planned to capture the picturesque countryside, characterised by its rugged, rocky terrain, meandering streams, babbling creeks, and the presence of sheep and goats. Upon reaching Boot, we purchased the necessary tickets for our destination, Ravens Glass. 

The charming little train we boarded was affectionately known as "The Ratty," resembling a miniature version of Thomas the Tank Engine. Despite its small size, it surprisingly zipped along the narrow track, completing the journey to Ravensglass in approximately half an hour.


We arrived at Ravens Glass and walked down to the beach, no water as the tide was out. Braedon of course was off and took away across the sand. 

As I strolled along the seemingly endless shoreline, I couldn't help but notice that Braedon had forged ahead and I new he would be on the hunt for crabs amongst the rocks. Determined to catch up with him, I increased what was my leisurely beach walk. The anchored boats that I passed, sat marooned on the sand, creating a somewhat melancholic scene, like lonely sentinels of the sea.

I caught up to  Braedon and could see his excitement had waned as he struggled to find any crabs or seashells, which left him a tad disappointed. Realising that walking all the way to the ocean might be a bit of a stretch, we decided to retrace our steps toward the charming coastal town and its nearby railway station.

Following a pathway that led us past the station, we stumbled upon the fascinating remnants of the old Roman Baths, a mere half-hour's walk away. It was a relatively short journey, though it did take us past a picturesque field inhabited by serene cows, adding a rustic charm to our excursion.

Upon reaching the ruins of the Roman Baths, we couldn't resist the urge to capture the moment with some photographs. Braedon, as always, managed to strike up a friendship, this time with a little boy riding his bike alongside his mother. They became our companions for the return journey, with Braedon leading the way and us trailing behind. Eventually, we found ourselves back at the station, ready for the trip back. 

We were just in time to catch the Ratty back to the Boot station. We made our way back to the car and took to the little road again. We had plenty of little places to stop to take photos of the landscape – and even found the Roman Fort – Braedon,myself and mum scrambled to the top which I must admit was the steepest climb, plus it was wet and slippery and places were covered with sheep poop, so it was a bit of watch where your stepping!!

Mum took some photos and we had a bit of a look around and then made our way back down. We couldn’t work out which way we came up and it was difficult trying to find the track back down. 

As I descended to the base of the mountain, a realisation hit me like a sudden bolt of lightning! I should have brought the camera. Without much hesitation, I made a snap decision to embark on a swift return journey up the mountain, opting for a slightly different path that happened to be wetter and muddier. I left my mother and Ian at the bottom and set off with Braedon by my side again. 

Upon our arrival at the gates this time, we took a moment to explore the surroundings. I must admit, by the time I ascended the mountain for the second time, I was feeling quite exhausted. Nevertheless, I managed to snap some photographs of Braedon, capturing the essence of our adventure. Soon after, we began our descent.

We continued on after this and made our way back to Bowness, a quick rest and freshen up and we headed out to dinner, this time a pizza and Italian place – Braedon is now into eating most of a pizza himself so we ordered three pizza’s between the four of us and nice bottle of red wine. Braedon again got very chummy with the locals and sat up at the little bar and was doing a little supervising. All the children get a lolly pop – so that's what he was really waiting for I think.

We walked back to our B&B and there were still a few shops open so I bought a few more little things here and then we called it a night.

You Might Also Like

0 comments